22.2.11

Prediction 2011: The MLB Season

It snowed today, which, as we all know, means that Baseball is just around the corner. As such, it seems fitting for me to at least make an attempt at a prediction of the MLB season for this year. One, it gives me something to do, and it gives you something to disagree with while waiting for me to post something that matters in a more general sense. So, thusly, vis-a-vis, ergo, here are my predictions with a brief reason for my decisions:

NL Division Winners
-Philadelphia Phillies
Pitching, pitching, pitching. This rotation is the baseball equivalent of a predator missile. Watch the explosion and then clean up the stragglers in the 7-9th innings. I think they run away with the division.
-Milwaukee Brewers
This team has tons of talent for a "small market" team, and a rotation of Grienke-Gallardo-Marcum-Wolf-Narveson looks to do a lot to fix the abominable pitching of years past. Still not quite Philly-good, but darn impressive, and on the offensive side, some explosive power. I see them winning the central by 5-6 games.
-Colorado Rockies
I tend to think the Giants were a one-hit wonder. The pitching is still great, but offensively, they have to compete with the Rockies who, you guessed it, have pretty darn good pitching, and a little offense on the side *sarcasm.* This is a team I could see making a nice run to the playoffs.

NL Wild Card
-Atlanta Braves
This may seem an odd choice with teams like the Reds, Cardinals, and Giants running about, and in some senses it is. When I look at their level of talent compared to those other teams, as well as the division they play in (aside from the Phillies, who else is there?), I like their chances. I don't think they get far once their in the post-season, but I like their chances of getting there.

AL Division Winners
-Boston Red Sox
Is there anything not to like? This team is so stacked, it might as well be bringing a knife to a gunfight, and if they didn't play in the AL East, it would be unfair. I mean really, Mike Cameron as a fourth outfielder?! You've got to be kidding me.
-Chicago White Sox
Something inside me is screaming that it is just wrong to say that the Twins don't make the playoffs somehow...they always do. However, I see the twins as having and off year, and I have to admit, the White Sox look pretty decent this year.
-Anaheim Angels
This was perhaps the most difficult decision to make. I hate to say it, but I don't see Texas getting back to the postseason. I think they left something special (even beyond Cliff Lee) back in the world series, and I don't think they can recapture the magic. This leaves the next most possible candidate: The well-managed Angels. I don't see them as that powerful a team, or even as that much of a threat to the rest of the AL, but I do think they'll put up a fight. In a year in which the As might actually play decent baseball, I see the Angels winning the division by 3-4 games.

AL Wild Card
-New York Yankees
As much as they look to have a down year right now, I see them hanging around just enough to justify pulling the trigger on some big name come the trade-deadline which will push them over the hump and into the playoffs. Depending on who they play, they could do some damage there, though I don't see them getting to the Series. If they do, it will be a travesty.....no one should reach the world series with a rotation of Sabathia, Hughes, A.J. Mental case, and two other guys off the street. Two good, reliable pitchers does not a champion make.

World Series:
Boston Versus Philadelphia
Irresistible force versus immovable object. Very tough to call a winner here, if all goes as planned. I see this coming down to six or seven games.

Champion: Boston Red Sox
Just too much talent here to ignore... I think the series really could go either way, but when it comes down to it, the overwhelming offensive threat will win the day.

Well, we'll see how badly I did come this fall! Thanks for playing, everyone. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting... you have both World Series teams missing the playoffs.